For those of you that have lived through a severe storm like a hurricane, you know that it is no joke. It can be a very stressful and terrifying time as you sit and watch Mother Nature wreak havoc outside. There are several things that you can do to prepare for a hurricane and ensure the safety of your employees and anyone else seeking safety on your business premises. No matter if you are a hotel, motel or other place accommodating overnight guests or you are a business dependent upon power for its needs, you may need to rent an emergency back up generator during or after a severe storm if there is a power outage. Environmental Power Solutions understands how hard you’ve worked to get your business up and running. It is our goal to keep your business functioning no matter the circumstances. The Institute for Business and Home Safety has stated that 25% of businesses don’t reopen after a major disaster! But fortunately, even a basic emergency disaster plan can save not just your life’s work but lives as well.
Have a Power Outage Emergency Response Plan
The biggest thing you need to know about surviving a hurricane is the fact that you will most likely be without power at one point or another. Power outages can last for weeks, and if that’s the case, you are going to need to be prepared for it. Here are some things to think about when faced with a power outage:
1. Find a Way to Prepare Food- Preparing food without power is a real challenge. You don’t realize how dependent you are on power until you don’t have it for a time. You may gather food that doesn’t require any heat to prepare or refrigeration to keep it good. You can prepare food with a gas powered grill if you have one. You can also use Dutch ovens over an open flame if you have any and a fire pit to build a fire in.
2. Keep Your Fridge Closed- When you don’t have power, you are hoping that it will only last a short time. If this is the case, leave your refrigerator closed to keep the cold air inside until power is restored.
3. Store Ice in Coolers- You may find that you are without power longer than you thought. If you have planned ahead with ice and a cooler, you can put ice in the refrigerator and preserve food for a longer period of time.
4. Take a Shower Before the Storm Hits- This might be your last hot shower for a time, so enjoy it and get ready for some cooler showers until power resumes.
5. Find Some Source of Light for Evenings- You are more than likely not used to going to bed with the sun, but when you don’t have power, it is hard to find a way to do anything. Flashlights, candles, or oil lanterns are helpful in extending your day without natural light.
6. Put Your Phone on Power Reserve- You are going to want communication with family and friends, so you should only be using your phone when it is absolutely necessary. Use text messaging rather than calls to use less power.
Portable Clean Diesel Generators Made in the United States & Available Worldwide
One of the best ways to keep yourself and your employees comfortable and more importantly, safe, during a hurricane is with a backup generator. Having a generator that can give you power for important things like keeping your phone charged and communication open, and your refrigerator running, will be a game changer. In order to have a generator to use, you need to make sure you have enough gasoline to keep it running. Make sure you have a gas supply long before the storm hits so that you aren’t scrambling at the last minute. Diesel is much safer than gasoline and easier to store, so consider renting a diesel generator to help you get through the next hurricane that comes your way. Environmental Power Solutions offer clean diesel generator rentals to keep your lights on when the power goes out. Contact us for your commercial and industrial power needs!